Legal Counsel Project Finance at ABSA
Job Status: Active ✓
|Job Type||Full Time|
About the Position
To be a member of the legal team by managing Legal Key Risk in Absa and to contribute to the development of the Legal Function. The role will primarily focus on providing legal support and advice to the business generally, including taking responsibility for transaction documentation, assisting with product development, and providing specific advice in response to business queries as well as queries from other businesses. The candidate will also have the opportunity to work on significant firm-wide projects which are often run in the team.
Accountability: Management of Legal Risks
* Ensure the bank’s legal and regulatory position is managed effectively in all situations in which legal disputes or regulatory issues arise, at all times safeguarding Barclays’ reputation.
* Increase awareness of the Legal Key Risk Policies and report any breaches. Identify and articulate risks associated with proposed transactions, projects and activities that the business intends to undertake.
* Mitigate risks wherever possible.
* Act as an escalation point for junior members of the team and legal contact points in Africa
* Attend necessary training sessions to ensure commerciality and continued legal professional development.
* Ensure regulatory & statutory compliance.
* Provide a clear record of relevant business transactions and legal advice given that effectively mitigates legal risk.
* Develop and sustain effective risk and control [URL Removed] Negotiate, draft and review Agreements.
* Assist in structuring, negotiating & drafting legal agreements and documentation relating to standard agreements, transactions and new products
* Help to develop working structures and best practice guides for use within business
* Address all probable risks by seeing to it that they are sufficiently addressed in legal agreements drafted
* Consider, comment, negotiate and give advice on documents/ agreements for the business
* Give legal advice on transactions or deals to be done, or transactions that have been concluded
* Conduct legal due diligences on transactions
* Provide advice on legality, the lawfulness and enforceability of agreements and documentsAccountability: Stakeholder Management
* Determine needs of stakeholders by regular interaction with the stakeholders in order to discuss legal developments and matters with them
* Provide stakeholders with legal advice, support and legal solutions
* Provide specialist assistance to country legal teams in Absa region
* Manage external counsel where required
* Distil and communicate and legal concepts in a simple, concise way that is easily understood by business stakeholders.
* Evaluate, manage and prioritise tasks in accordance with business need
* Compile lists of matters and registers of work or instructions received
* Provide reports as required to support the assessment of the legal risk control [URL Removed] experience
* Junior lawyer, ideally 2-5years’ PQE
* Experience of working in a highly regulated, fast paced environment, where there are often competing demands
* Some in house experience would be preferred
* B Comm Law and LLB; or B A Law and LLB; or B Juris and LLB; BProc or LLB
Academic and professional qualifications
* Lawyer / attorney qualified to practice in South Africa or other similar jurisdiction
* Ability to work as part of a team
* Very strong interpersonal skills, especially communication skills
* Well organised and efficient Excellent negotiating and influencing skills
* Excellent attention to detail
* Integrity and reliability
* Business awareness, prioritisation of risk and strong commercial focus
* Ability to take a commercial view within legal constraints
* Ability to manage a large (and often fluid) workload with effective prioritisation as well as deliver under pressure and at speed
Apply Here http://bit.ly/2G5KJHC